Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Your own personal Jesus


Changing water into whine

So, I know I complained about the snow a little. A lot. Endlessly. But now it's raining. A lot. Endlessly.

Somebody tell me again why we live here?

I guess it could be because, at our coldest, we never have to (never could) iceskate down the sidewalk.

And I guess it could be because there are no damn hurricanes.

And I guess it could be because the majority here usually votes the way I vote (a benefit that cannot be overvalued).

And I guess it could be because here is where the money is.

And I guess it could be because I bloomed where I was planted.

But some people went swimming in their outdoor pools for the solstice. And about this time six years ago, we were basking in the warm sunshine in San Diego on our first expedition as unschoolers. (Happy Unniversary to Us!) And we just received an ad from St. Croix that has pictures of, well, paradise (except for the damn hurricanes).

And here I sit, watching the rain come down, while coworkers share tips on keeping their basements from flooding.

And Winter is only about two weeks old!

4 comments:

Scott said...

When I feel bad about being so far from family an friends, I look at the weather forecast and remember why I came south. Is that terribly selfish of me? I hope everyone is staying dry and warm.

kelli said...

If it's any consolation it's raining, raining, raining here too.. :/ Hope you stay dry!

Beachbum said...

If you wish to visit us in sunny CA, please feel free to revisit that Anniversary spot.

Do they let you work remotely?

mesmith said...

you live where you live because its pretty much the closest you could live to us without having to live in Blaine or something. and we live where we live because, despite the wetness, we live in the mildest part of Canada. so there you go.