
Once upon a time, the Seahawks were part of the AFC West. We enjoyed rivalries with all of the teams in our conference, especially the Raiders and the Broncos, but the Chiefs and Chargers earned some of our enmity, too. Despite my constant loyalty to the Hawks, I've always had a soft spot for San Diego, because of my familial ties to and time spent in that city. In a couple of my summers there, I hung out with and was influenced by some neighborhood guys who were die-hard fans of Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow (the First), Charlie Joiner, and the like.
Anyway, fast forward a few years. These days, the Hawks are part of the NFC West, and we try to be as excited about watching the Hawks play our current conferencemates. Still, I miss the old matchups, and I admit to now having soft spots for all of our old rivals except (blech!) Denver. So, when I have a chance to root wholeheartedly for the Chargers, I jump at it.
Today's game is providing just such a chance. Pittsburgh is probably oblivious to how much we hate them here in Seattle, and I know our hatred is not entirely reasonable. I don't really believe the refs were bribed in that Super Bowl, after all. Much. But the Steelers suffer our resentment of things like East Coast media bias, horrible refereeing, and a sadly unfair Super Bowl.
Enter the Chargers. They have my sympathy as the snow falls in Pittsburgh and the terrible towels fly. I hope they kick some steel butts and win a little redemption for all of us.
Update 5:00 p.m. -- Suddenly I find myself a Ravens fan. Imagine that!






5 comments:
Only 9 minutes left. Both of our clans are pretty disappointed. *sigh*
hmmmm... Scotty says "that's what happens when you get into the SuperBowl by fluke -- you get stomped by the guys who earned their way there"
I know there's a huge party on the other side after today's Steeler win <3
Diana - (splutters) Stomped?! STOMPED?! Did he watch the same game we did?
Condolences from our clan to yours, Steph!
LOL. Chloe just read Scotty's remarks and says, "I always found him kind of shifty!" With love, of course! :-)
I had better delete my comment before I make it!!
Post a Comment