Thursday, January 1, 2009

It was never like that for me

Frank just called from the cockpit of Laureen's 47-foot catamaran. He reports that although they are between Alcatraz and the city, they are warm, dry, and steady enough to be drinking champagne while Laureen nurses Aurora.

San Francisco Bay seemed rather different from the cockpit of the Enjoué, my dad's 26-foot Columbia. If we had sails where I wasn't cold and green, I don't remember them. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds heavenly!

Laureen said...

GRIN! There wasn't any champagne... there was hot tea cause MAN it got cold fast when the fog dropped down. And yeah, one of the reasons we picked a cat is because of the stability. I'm not fond of green either. =)

Ronnie said...

Oh, good, Laureen, you've restored my faith in the universe. Completely pleasant sailing in SF Bay was too alien a concept! :-)

Sorry for misspelling your name! I will fix it.

CiaoBella! said...

You did have some lovely warm flat sails down the estuary from Alameda. It was when you hit SF Bay and ducked under the GGate that you greened up! And of course there were the nights tied to the Bay Bridge with no wind and no motor to go home! What a bare bones boat that was! Blankets and life jackets compliments of the USN.

Ronnie said...

I have strong and unpleasant sense memories of those blankets. (shudder)

Yeah, we always loved the estuary, especially waking up the bridge operators. But that was mostly on Tan-Tar-A, I think - a much more comfortable proposition.