Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Marty update

Marty is about the same, sleeping a lot, coughing a lot, with very brief periods now and then where he both awake and cough-free. I keep hoping to hear that he is improving; Frank says no.

"The kids" went to the funeral home today and made prearrangements. Frank posted about that here. It sounds like they are all pleased with what they've arranged, balancing Catholic ceremonies with city logistics. The services will be in the lovely chapel at the even lovelier funeral home (see Frank's post), and the funeral home is very near the cemetery where Marty will be interred with Rosie.

Other than that, it sounds like they are all finding it really good to be together. Lots of shared memories, lots of laughter, and lots of company for Marty.

2 comments:

K. said...

When my Dad died it was all isolation and distance, so surreal. We aren't a close family, obviously, and while I appreciated the people who showed up - uncles, aunts and cousins who only show up at death beds and funerals - at the same time I remember them standing in a huddled group, just watching those of us who were involved enough to grieve. It was awful.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry about Marty, but so glad that he's surrounded by such life and family. I hope this is the way that I go out someday, the way it will be for those I leave behind.

Ronnie said...

Kelly - It is very comforting! I'm sorry you didn't have the same.