Tuesday, January 2, 2001
Previous quotes from the Quote Zone
Categories:
Attitude
Childhood
Education
Life
Miscellaneous
Politics
Work
Attitude
"Keep on rockin' in the free world." — Neil Young
"There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect." — Nikki Giovanni
"The deep joy we take in the company of people with whom we have just recently fallen in love is undisguisable.” — John Cheever
"Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving." — Kahlil Gibran
"So now man has the lucky jar in his house forever and thinks the world of the treasure. It is at his service; he reaches for it when he fancies it." — Friedrich Nietzsche, on hope (but his conclusion is not really a very hopeful one)
"It came with out ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store." — Dr. Seuss
"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." — Vincent Van Gogh
"[There's] nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be, It's easy, All you need is love." — John Lennon et al.
"I am exactly where I need to be." — Amy Steinberg
"Just say NO to negativity!" – seen on a bumper sticker
Childhood
"My family... [was] always struggling to know more and be more. It always seemed there was more to know. It was never enough. If I brought home a 98 on a test from school, my father would ask, ‘And what happened to the other two points?’ I pursued those two points relentlessly throughout my childhood. But my grandfather did not care for such things. For him, I was already enough. And somehow when I was with him, I knew with absolute certainty that this was so." — Dr. Rachel Naomi Ramen, My Grandfather's Blesssings
Education
"Next to the right to life itself, the most fundamental of all human rights is the right to control our own minds and thoughts." — John Holt, in Instead of Education
"Whenever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to ensure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery." — Benjamin Disraeli
Life
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." — Lewis Carroll
"I learned what is obvious to a child. That life is simply a collection of little lives, each lived one day at a time. That each day should be spent finding beauty in flowers and poetry and talking to animals. That a day spent with dreaming and sunsets and refreshing breezes cannot be bettered." — Nicholas Sparks
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." — Freidrich Nietzsche
"...success is only another form of failure if we forget what our priorities should be." — Harry Lloyd
"Hold on, man. We don't go anywhere with 'scary,' 'spooky,' 'haunted,' or 'forbidden' in the title." — Shaggy
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." — Hermann Broch
"Sooner or later we will come to the edge of all that we can control and find life, waiting there for us." — Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D., My Grandfather's Blessings
"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hyrdrant." (unattributed)
Miscellaneous
"I will deliver, You know I'm a forgiver, Reach out and touch faith." — Depeche Mode, Personal Jesus (as covered by Marilyn Manson)
"Someday I'll stop procrastinating." — Grandma Pat (Ruppe)
"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" — Captain Renault (Claude Rains), Casablanca
"Many things—such as loving, going to sleep, or behaving unaffectedly—are done worst when we try hardest to do them." — C.S. Lewis
"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." — Henry James
"When he spoke, what tender words he used! So softly, that like flakes of feathered snow, They melted as they fell." — John Dryden
"Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas? You know...the birth of Santa." — Bart Simpson
Politics
"In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." — Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
"As a member of this court I am not justified in writing my private notions of policy into the Constitution, no matter how deeply I may cherish them or how mischievous I may deem their disregard." — Felix Frankfurter
"As disturbing as paranoia, disbelief or revisionism might be, each is better than simply insisting that a devastating report that reveals one's war-rallying cry is unmitigated crap actually confirms the unmitigated crap." — Keith Olbermann (referring to Bush's insistence that the 12/3 intelligence report that Iran discontinued its nuclear weapons program in 2003 should not derail his drive to wage war on Iran)
Work
"The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one." — Oscar Wilde
"Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday." — Unknown
"My husband and I have figured out a really good system about the housework: neither one of us does it." — Dottie Archibald
"I see Earth! It is so beautiful!" — Yuri Gagarin
Attitude
Childhood
Education
Life
Miscellaneous
Politics
Work
Attitude
"Keep on rockin' in the free world." — Neil Young
"There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect." — Nikki Giovanni
"The deep joy we take in the company of people with whom we have just recently fallen in love is undisguisable.” — John Cheever
"Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving." — Kahlil Gibran
"So now man has the lucky jar in his house forever and thinks the world of the treasure. It is at his service; he reaches for it when he fancies it." — Friedrich Nietzsche, on hope (but his conclusion is not really a very hopeful one)
"It came with out ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store." — Dr. Seuss
"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." — Vincent Van Gogh
"[There's] nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be, It's easy, All you need is love." — John Lennon et al.
"I am exactly where I need to be." — Amy Steinberg
"Just say NO to negativity!" – seen on a bumper sticker
Childhood
"My family... [was] always struggling to know more and be more. It always seemed there was more to know. It was never enough. If I brought home a 98 on a test from school, my father would ask, ‘And what happened to the other two points?’ I pursued those two points relentlessly throughout my childhood. But my grandfather did not care for such things. For him, I was already enough. And somehow when I was with him, I knew with absolute certainty that this was so." — Dr. Rachel Naomi Ramen, My Grandfather's Blesssings
Education
"Next to the right to life itself, the most fundamental of all human rights is the right to control our own minds and thoughts." — John Holt, in Instead of Education
"Whenever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to ensure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery." — Benjamin Disraeli
Life
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." — Lewis Carroll
"I learned what is obvious to a child. That life is simply a collection of little lives, each lived one day at a time. That each day should be spent finding beauty in flowers and poetry and talking to animals. That a day spent with dreaming and sunsets and refreshing breezes cannot be bettered." — Nicholas Sparks
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." — Freidrich Nietzsche
"...success is only another form of failure if we forget what our priorities should be." — Harry Lloyd
"Hold on, man. We don't go anywhere with 'scary,' 'spooky,' 'haunted,' or 'forbidden' in the title." — Shaggy
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." — Hermann Broch
"Sooner or later we will come to the edge of all that we can control and find life, waiting there for us." — Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D., My Grandfather's Blessings
"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hyrdrant." (unattributed)
Miscellaneous
"I will deliver, You know I'm a forgiver, Reach out and touch faith." — Depeche Mode, Personal Jesus (as covered by Marilyn Manson)
"Someday I'll stop procrastinating." — Grandma Pat (Ruppe)
"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" — Captain Renault (Claude Rains), Casablanca
"Many things—such as loving, going to sleep, or behaving unaffectedly—are done worst when we try hardest to do them." — C.S. Lewis
"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." — Henry James
"When he spoke, what tender words he used! So softly, that like flakes of feathered snow, They melted as they fell." — John Dryden
"Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas? You know...the birth of Santa." — Bart Simpson
Politics
"In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." — Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
"As a member of this court I am not justified in writing my private notions of policy into the Constitution, no matter how deeply I may cherish them or how mischievous I may deem their disregard." — Felix Frankfurter
"As disturbing as paranoia, disbelief or revisionism might be, each is better than simply insisting that a devastating report that reveals one's war-rallying cry is unmitigated crap actually confirms the unmitigated crap." — Keith Olbermann (referring to Bush's insistence that the 12/3 intelligence report that Iran discontinued its nuclear weapons program in 2003 should not derail his drive to wage war on Iran)
Work
"The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one." — Oscar Wilde
"Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday." — Unknown
"My husband and I have figured out a really good system about the housework: neither one of us does it." — Dottie Archibald
"I see Earth! It is so beautiful!" — Yuri Gagarin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











No comments:
Post a Comment