
Chloe and I went to the movies today with the SnoCo Teen Unschoolers Network (STUN). It's been a long time since we've all been together, so it was fun to see everyone. And the movie, "Twilight," was considerably better than I thought it was going to be. Chloe can tell you in detail where they departed from the book, but they were very much true to Stephenie Meyer's vision, too.

I don't think I'll be spoiling anything when I say that my favorite bits were with Bella's dad, Charlie, played in nicely understated fashion by Billy Burke. The screenwriter was very smart to develop this character, and Burke made good use of his screen time.
And the vampire cast was undeniably striking, especially Dr. Cullen! Whoa. Chloe and I both got chills the first time he came on screen. You can really believe he's not quite human.
Anyway, it's not an Oscar contender, but it was a fun couple of hours.






7 comments:
Aaah... you spoiled it for me. There are VAMPIRES in that movie??? And Billie Burke must be at least a hundred years old - good for a vampire flick i guess.
It would be cool to see Glinda the Good as a vampire 8-: But this Billy is a guy. A very. white. guy.
I haven't seen (or read) Twilight, but I watched the trailer. It's really weird to think of Forks as something other than a muddy logging town!
Wasn't Billie Burke Glenda the Good witch?
Oh, now I need to go google!
Ha! Stephanie commented while I was typing. Still gotta go google, though ...
Funny, I just finally watched this movie, too. I thought it looked SO potentially silly, but I was pleasantly surprised. I think they pulled it off.
You guys are funny. I'll never be able to look at that actor with a straight face again. But I bet he gets that all the time. :-)
Craig - Sorry for the spoilers! But I must, you are sadly out of touch. I'll cut you a little slack because your daughter is not yet a teenager. Just you wait! Remind me to tell you sometime what Chloe's tough question of the week was.
Steph - Oh, Forks is still a muddy logging town. That comes through clearly. And it's gray (plot necessity). Evidently one reviewer commented on our PNW weather as one of the main characters in the movie. I admit I sat there with an amused little smile as they showed scene after scene of rain, gray skies, pouring rain, drizzling rain, really gray skies, etc. I was imagining people in southern regions wondering, "Is it really that bad?" Yes, folks, it's really that bad.
(The full truth is that Seattle is not the rainiest city in the country. Mobile is. But we get the most gray days, which, let me tell you, is the depressing part.)
Laura - I just looked him up on IMDB, 'cause I couldn't remember what I'd seen him in before. It was "Along Came a Spider" with Morgan Freeman. He was one of the security guards at the school. Turns out he's a Western Washington native; he must have felt right at home in Forks.
Kelly - Exactly! I'm not sure it can survive repeated viewings (although lots of people see it again and again), but it was sufficiently entertaining the first time around.
I have to admit that I actually laughed out loud when Dr. Cullen came on screen the first time. I thought the white make up went a little overboard.
Post a Comment