
I've just been writing up the process my manager and I followed last month to ready our program (programme) documentation for use in places where they spell funny, such as Great Britain, Australia, and Canada.
Normally, this work is completed by vendors who specialize (specialise) in translation and localization (localisation). But the vendor wanted several weeks and many dollars (pounds) to do it, so David and I took on the task. It took us about two weeks, and we got it right the first time, which is not always true of the vendors.
Yes, I'm feeling smug, and yes, I know it's unattractive. I just can't help myself.
But don't you think they should write me a check (cheque) for the money we saved them?






3 comments:
Yeah
Ahem. *Who* spells things funny? Surely not the commonwealth countries!
I blame Noah Webster (from whom my husband is descended) for this terrible departure from widely accepted spelling practices ("practice" the noun, not "practise" the verb).
And "zee"? "Zed" is how it is pronounced!
Wink, wink, my underpaid friend :-)
In Pulp Fiction Bruce Willis assured me that,"Zed is dead, baby! Zed is dead."
Remember, fish can be spelled G-H-O-T-I.
GH from rough
O from women
TI from nation
FISH! I mean, GHOTI!
Post a Comment