— Annie Kinsella in "Field of Dreams"
"My lady... It is is a new day."
"It is a new world."
— Nurse and Viola in "Shakespeare in Love"
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day
live in a nation where they will not be
judged by the color of their skin
but by the content of their character."
— Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Let there be no reason for any American to fail to
cherish their citizenship in this, the greatest nation on Earth"
— Senator John McCain
"All things are possible."
— Barack Obama, President-elect of the United States of America
I don't know if I can put into words what Barack Obama's election means to me. It represents so much more than who will sit in the Oval Office for the next four years. Instead, it's about my daughters' futures, my hopes for this country, my hopes for the world, and the America that I want to love both in image and in reality.
For the first time in eight long, painful years, I am proud of this country and excited to see what will happen next. The American flag is my flag again, and the White House will soon once again be a symbol of cooperation and equality.
We spent tonight over at cousin Sonya's watching the election coverage with an multinational, multiracial, multiaged group, all of whom came together with the same enthusiasm and hope for the outcome of the election and what it would mean for America's direction over the next four years.
Some favorite moments:
- When Ohio went to Obama. That's when I started to believe.
- All the networks projecting Obama as the winner at 8:00:01 p.m. Pacific Time, even though not a single vote had been counted on the West coast. This was exciting, but it made me very nervous. Remember "Dewey beats Truman"?
- McCain's beautiful concession speech. (Where was this McCain through the election?)
- Footage from across America of people of all colors moved to joyful tears by Obama's election.
- The gravity on Obama's face as he gave his victory speech. It was not the expression of an arrogant or overconfident man. He knows exactly what he's gotten himself into, he takes it very seriously, and he will not act rashly. And did you notice that the hug Michelle gave him seemed one of comfort more than celebration? These are not stupid people; they know how difficult the next four years are going to be. I think that's a very good sign.
Good night, everybody. See you in the new world.






8 comments:
I could not have described the evening better!
Here's to daring to hope again.
It was a wonderful evening. Pennsylvania was my first shout. :)
Laura -- waking up in a Blue Vrginia. Warner, Webb, Kaine, and OBAMA. Oh, mumma!
It felt so good to go to bed after/during an election and NOT have a sick feeling in my stomach :)
I'm so happy!
yeah, i thought that was pretty telling - 51% to 49% with 15,000 votes tallied in California at 8 pm and wham, there's the "major projection".
ya done us proud!
I did notice that hug Michelle gave him...and the lack of arrogance, and McCain's thoughtful speech....it was an amazing evening, and your celebration for hope is mine too.
Can't wait t see you in the new world!
Of course if anyone still wants to move to Canada....that would be okay too :)
Yes, YES, YESSSSSSSSSS! What a relief. I too thought McCain's concession speech was great. And Obama's seriousness (and non-gloating) was so appropriate. Wahoo!
I thought Obama looked humble and thoughtful during his speech. You're right, no gloating at all.
It's a good day!
You are so articulate and so observant. You took all the words I couldn't say right out of my mouth! McCain was so real; where was he before? And Michelle seemed to console Barack, pat him a little, as if to say "It's OK, don't cry." What a burden he has take on and he has to be exhausted already.
Post a Comment