Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Step outside

Step outside and look
Green grass, brown fence
Look closer
Dandelions, clover (it's time to mow)
Closer still, a whole world
Opens up, details explode

The moss at the roots
Dry grass stems from her last mowing
And bursting-with-life stems gone to seed
Baby dandelion leaves with fuzzy fluted edges
(Who knew dandelions were so pretty?)

A tiny moth
Irritant yesterday, iridescent wonder today,
Tucked tight against whatever's handy
Persistent fly
His discovery: a fluff of dryer lint
Ripe with proteins no doubt

And everywhere
Gossamer traces of spiders past or passing,
Or there still but hidden from view,
Winding, twining, shimmering in the sun
Trap for unwary victims and stray seeds
But oh, so vulnerable to human feet

Step outside and look

5 comments:

Idzie Desmarais said...

This is beautiful! I love it.

Cap'n Franko said...

Lovely!

Like you.

gail said...

I love this poem...Just beautiful :-)

kelli said...

I love the outdoors, it is so inspiring :) this poem is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Love it. Thank you!