Monday, April 7, 2008

NaBloPoMo "F"

Click here to visit NaBloPoMo

F is for Fun, Foundation, and Frank



I was 19 when I met Frank. I'd reluctantly taken a full-time job as a proofreader at a little publishing company in Seattle that required me to get up at 6 a.m. (Ugh!) BPC was an odd little place, with boring content (municipal codes), Nazi management, and really neat staffers. Frank was one of the latter and also part of the elite little group of indexers that I knew pretty quickly I wanted to join.

Frank and I hit it off right from the start, drawn together by our shared love of sailing, SCUBA, and smoked oysters with Cheetos. We were both with other people, so our friendship was purely platonic until January of 1986 when I broke up with my boyfriend. Friend Frank provided a consolatory shoulder. He offered to take me out to lunch to hear all about it and to tell me the details of a group trip to the Cayman Islands that he was putting together for the coming June.

We went to the Azteca by Northgate. It was a lovely little lunch, and I was charmed by his earnest efforts to assure me that I would have my own room in the Caymans. By the end of lunch, our friendship was not quite so platonic.

But, technically, our first date wasn't until later in the month. We went to see "101 Dalmations" at a cinema in Bellevue. We ate Dots and popcorn, and he watched me instead of the movie. ((sigh)) It was very romantic.

And that was only the beginning. From hot dates to marriage adventures, from motorcycles to minivan, from DINK to SITCOM, from love affair to lifelong partnership, we've been through a lot together. He's my rock and my hero and my partner in crime. I cherish him for so many reasons but most of all for the family he's helped me build.

Frank, I can't wait to see where life leads us next! Mwah!

3 comments:

Zenmomma said...

This is so very sweet!

Cap'n Franko said...

Awwww. I'm speechless!

Scott said...

Eeeeewwwwwwwwww. Mushy stuff.