Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Poetry in motion
Timely excerpts from Ulysses by Alfred Tennyson
I cannot rest from travel; I will drink
Life to the lees. All times I have enjoy'd...
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail;
There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me,--
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine...
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
I cannot rest from travel; I will drink
Life to the lees. All times I have enjoy'd...
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail;
There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me,--
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine...
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











5 comments:
Isn't that a strange coincidence -- Meredith is reading Joyce's Ulysses. She reads most everything she sees on Lost, and I believe it was Ben who was reading Ulysses on the plane.
Does this mean that you guys are planning to set sail? :)
Nosey Laura
N.F.W.
:-)
The sails are figurative in this instance.
So ... you are figuratively setting sail ... hmm. :)
Oh, constantly! It's my nature.
I am so fortunate to be in the position I am - to set sail as I please.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth
Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference
Post a Comment