Monday, February 9, 2009
Ready or not
After taking some time to process, I am now ready to let everybody know that my position at Microsoft was one of the 1400 that the company eliminated in late January.
I disagree with their decision at a philosophical level. With the current economy, I find it unconscionable for a company that has huge cash reserves and that is still making a substantial profit to eliminate jobs. It seems to me that they have contributed to the problem without even attempting to find other ways to lower operating expenses. And, judging by my coworkers' responses to my layoff (which ranged from bafflement, to outrage, to sobs, to one hugely generous offer to jobshare), the employees at the company are more than willing to tighten their belts. I think it's a shame Microsoft didn't give us the chance to try that first.
But that's business. At a personal level, I am certainly sad and stressed that my sweet job is going away. But we are okay. I get a good severance package, plus Microsoft offers lots of resources and networking to help me find a new job, perhaps even within the company.
And we have personal resources, too, not least of which is my comfort with a self-employed/contractor lifestyle. As many of you know, I was very happy as a contractor and took this "permanent" position only because it was Just Right. The agency I used to work through is optimistic about my prospects for finding something new quickly.
Strange as it sounds, one of the things I have been worried about most is telling people about this. I don't want sympathy. I don't want you to worry. Informed of these things, one friend came up with the perfect response:
Well shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!
It made me laugh and spared me the burden of reassuring her that we are okay.
But we are. Frank and MJ and Chloe and I have taken a hard look at the worst-case scenario, and, honey, it just ain't that bad.
If and when there's more to tell, you will see it here. The earliest that I will start a new job is late March. In the meantime, I probably won't want to talk much about any interviews or prospects (unless it's that little fantasy of opening a dive shop on Grand Cayman), but you can rest assured that I am actively looking for work.
I disagree with their decision at a philosophical level. With the current economy, I find it unconscionable for a company that has huge cash reserves and that is still making a substantial profit to eliminate jobs. It seems to me that they have contributed to the problem without even attempting to find other ways to lower operating expenses. And, judging by my coworkers' responses to my layoff (which ranged from bafflement, to outrage, to sobs, to one hugely generous offer to jobshare), the employees at the company are more than willing to tighten their belts. I think it's a shame Microsoft didn't give us the chance to try that first.
But that's business. At a personal level, I am certainly sad and stressed that my sweet job is going away. But we are okay. I get a good severance package, plus Microsoft offers lots of resources and networking to help me find a new job, perhaps even within the company.
And we have personal resources, too, not least of which is my comfort with a self-employed/contractor lifestyle. As many of you know, I was very happy as a contractor and took this "permanent" position only because it was Just Right. The agency I used to work through is optimistic about my prospects for finding something new quickly.
Strange as it sounds, one of the things I have been worried about most is telling people about this. I don't want sympathy. I don't want you to worry. Informed of these things, one friend came up with the perfect response:
Well shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!
It made me laugh and spared me the burden of reassuring her that we are okay.
But we are. Frank and MJ and Chloe and I have taken a hard look at the worst-case scenario, and, honey, it just ain't that bad.
If and when there's more to tell, you will see it here. The earliest that I will start a new job is late March. In the meantime, I probably won't want to talk much about any interviews or prospects (unless it's that little fantasy of opening a dive shop on Grand Cayman), but you can rest assured that I am actively looking for work.
Labels:
it's a new day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






14 comments:
What she said!
Hugs. We've always looked at these ripples in life as opportunities to look inside and find something better.
Here's energy for you all to do that.
First, though, I second Zenmomma's sentiment!
ditto here ...all the above. Love you guys.
take in and enjoy the time you all can spend together - and what great things will come your way!
Heya Ronnie! I got cut Jan 22 from Sun; blogged it here: http://theexcellentadventure.com/ea/2009/01/22/a-clean-galley-and-a-rif/
And yeah...I wasn't gonna talk about it, but then everyone in the marina congratulated me. http://theexcellentadventure.com/ea/2009/02/06/unemployment-2/ It seems that the deeply counterculture see this as a critical step to the beginning. =)
Z-mom - Maybe I was trying to save the best part just for me!
Mom, Randi, Gaily - Thanks! :-)
Ginger - Exactly!
Laureen - Well, I am of course sorry that you are also going through this, but I confess to taking substantial comfort from knowing you're in the same boat as me (so to speak!). Thanks for sharing! And I will endeavor to embrace the counterculture attitude. I've had some practice with that. :-)
I love your balanced view of things. Too many people lately giving in to the fear and "doom and gloom" mentality about the economy.
Best of luck with the job search. I'm confident something better is waiting in the wings.
See? Told ya drumming energizes your whole life, and things shift.
Wishing you well on your new adventure! And I totally agree with your sentiments about microsoft, and the layoffs. Guess they don't have a lot of experience looking for the win-win-win.
Let's talk more about a Caribbean dive shop! (grin)
Deanne - Oh, I have my doom-and-gloom moments. But mostly this is an intriguing development. :-)
Caren - Ummm. Hmmm. No, I don't think I want to blame drumming for this! lol
Frank - You're leaning on the wrong person, babe.
This way Microsoft can hire you back as a contractor and not pay for benefits. Hope they find another perfect spot within the company so you can keep those bennies.
Thanks, Scott! It's not looking really likely at this point, but, hey, it could happen.
Charles has been home for a month with us since his company went bankrupt in January. All we gotta say is Welcome to Freedom!
ugh... don't check your blog for a few days and all hell breaks loose. forget arizona or anywhere else south - move north. we're still apparently ignoring this whole down-turn up here. excuse my ignorance - didn't even know microsoft had done this. sorry.
Post a Comment