Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Doing The Work
The thought:
Anger must be appeased.
Note: Now that I've done it a few times, I think putting the issue that is causing me stress into a concise sentence is the most important part. It took me a number of tries to get the above right.
The questions:
- Is it true? Indeed.
- Can you absolutely know that it's true? Mostly absolutely.
- How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? In the face of anger? I get frantic.
- Who would you be without the thought? Calmer. More accepting of others' emotions.
The turnaround:
Anger does not have to be appeased. Hmm.
Anger must be allowed. Double hmm.
My thoughts must be appeased. No comment.
Food for thought.
The Work of Byron Katie
Anger must be appeased.
Note: Now that I've done it a few times, I think putting the issue that is causing me stress into a concise sentence is the most important part. It took me a number of tries to get the above right.
The questions:
- Is it true? Indeed.
- Can you absolutely know that it's true? Mostly absolutely.
- How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? In the face of anger? I get frantic.
- Who would you be without the thought? Calmer. More accepting of others' emotions.
The turnaround:
Anger does not have to be appeased. Hmm.
Anger must be allowed. Double hmm.
My thoughts must be appeased. No comment.
Food for thought.
The Work of Byron Katie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
Hey Ronnie -- I've been reading Byron Katie for a cou[le of months now. I'm okay at reading the book. Bad at doing the work. 'Cause, um, it's work. That's cool that you're taking a look at it. And actually DOING it. :/ Maybe you will inspire me to get on with it.
Anger must be addressed. Anger is the symptom, what is the cause? Work it out.
Laura, what I like about it is that it's really not that much work, at least for daily stresses.
Scott, definitely the cause can be addressed. But what this is about is reducing the "blind" stress I feel purely because of the presence of anger. On the day in question, the anger wasn't even directed at me. I am trying to realize that I don't *really* have to fix every damn thing. :-)
That's a tough one for me. If you have a problem it is my duty to help you fix that problem, wether you want my help or not. I can't help myself.
We both had good teachers! :-)
Post a Comment