Saturday, May 17, 2008
Friday fill-in (belated)
Here are the answers Chloe and I came up with jointly:
1. There is absolutely NO way you can get me to force my kids to go back to school!
2. The fact that it hit 90 today reminds us that summer is almost here!
3. Chloe cannot live without her laptop, and I cannot live without Chloe.
4. Bungee jumping and having a pint of Guiness in a pub in Ireland are two things we'd like to try (respectively).
5. When life hands you lemons, Chloe says to make blue Kool-Aid and then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it! I say, "Pucker up!"
6. Playing in the snow at school and then putting her shoes by the heater is Chloe's favorite childhood memory so far (her teacher hadn't seen much snow and would drop everything and send them all out to play in it), and mine is variable. For now, I'll say it's hanging out at the Evergreen State Fair with Lynn. Or hanging out at Studio 59 with Lynn and Linda. Rock Lobster!
7. And as for the weekend, it's half over. But tomorrow, we want to continue getting ready for LIFE is Good!
1. There is absolutely NO way you can get me to force my kids to go back to school!
2. The fact that it hit 90 today reminds us that summer is almost here!
3. Chloe cannot live without her laptop, and I cannot live without Chloe.
4. Bungee jumping and having a pint of Guiness in a pub in Ireland are two things we'd like to try (respectively).
5. When life hands you lemons, Chloe says to make blue Kool-Aid and then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it! I say, "Pucker up!"
6. Playing in the snow at school and then putting her shoes by the heater is Chloe's favorite childhood memory so far (her teacher hadn't seen much snow and would drop everything and send them all out to play in it), and mine is variable. For now, I'll say it's hanging out at the Evergreen State Fair with Lynn. Or hanging out at Studio 59 with Lynn and Linda. Rock Lobster!
7. And as for the weekend, it's half over. But tomorrow, we want to continue getting ready for LIFE is Good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
love the B52s! Thanks for playing, it was fun reading both your answers :-)
"1. There is absolutely NO way you can get me to force my kids to go back to school!"
Jesse, 15, has thrown me a curve by asking to try school next year. He is a good runner and wants to be the star of the high school cross country team. He said the school part "might be worth it".
I'm trying to be positive, and emailed Laura-in-the-midwest to ask about her son's back-to-school experience. She was great, but I'm still hoping Jess will change his mind. :/
Laura, maybe he can join the team w/o attending? That's allowed here, I believe.
Chloe is talking about doing a stint at the high school, too. I figure it can't be any harder than letting her go away to England by herself! :-)
Hey Ronnie -- we checked into Jesse joining the team as a homeschooler. Virginia Law is very clear about homeschoolers being ineligible to participate in public school sports. Not even a class or two at the school would make him eligible. He has to be a full-time student with a "C" or above GPA.
The cross country coach was great last fall and allowed Jesse to practice with the team and run in the team uniform in home meets (they didn't count his score toward the team total) and even compete in a couple of invitationals. Jesse still felt like he wasn't quite one of the team. (Which he wasn't, really.)
He might hate school and find that it isn't "worth it", but I worry that his testing to go back will put us on the school system's radar. And, of course, I have to overcome my mama-worry stuff. Really, I remind myself that Jesse is secure, quiet, confident, not easily ruffled.
Sorry this was so long. How old is Chloe? Is it something about this age and needing lots of peers around? I can fill a house with teens, but I can't put together a competitive cross country team. :(
Chloe turned 14 in March. I think for her it's more a sociology experiment than anything.
I know what you mean about being back on their radar. Right now, we're compliant but invisible and I like it that way. Also, we'd have to let all that school stuff back into our house (or struggle to keep it out), and I'd have to **go there** sometimes. Ick. :-)
But, yeah, I'm trying to let go of the mama worry. When Chloe and I talk about this, it's clear that she is aware of the tradeoffs, centered in herself, and (ouch) completely confident that I will help her get in and, if needed, help her get out again. And I suppose she's exactly right. :-)
Post a Comment