After an hour of two of research into drums, tones, and drum circles, I was psyched to buy a drum for the drum circle I am facilitating in a funshop at LIFE is Good next week. So, Frank did a craigslist search for me and came up with some possibilities. I called Mark in Bothell today and set up an appointment at his house.
When we pulled into the driveway, we knew we were in the right place: his daughter's car has a Shoes bumper sticker on it. :-)
Warning! Video contains profanity, shoe battles, and cross-dressing!
After some deliberation and a discussion about education (Mark has read Underground History... but sent his kids to school anyway???), I settled on the ceramic dumbe. It's kind of funny looking:

but it produces cool sounds. Even when I play it.
The four of us spent much of the rest of the (highly unusual) 90-degree afternoon sitting in the shade learning how to drum. A true unschooling experience!
Drumming has put me in a totally excellent mood. I think I've discovered the cure to PMS.






7 comments:
Neat drum! I'm so looking forward to the drum circle! :D
I am green with envy!! AND you got to drum / learn some drum stuff!
CANNOT WAIT!
Linnaea loves the Shoes video. There are lots of times when it is handy to be able to say Gimme those Shoes, Beeyotch!!
Ooh, I love your drum! I haven't done much but I think I would love it.
Drumming as a pms remedy, what a great idea! I've felt drawn to Taido drumming ever since I first witnessed it. I definitely could see that being a help certain times of the month. ;P
I know you mean premenstrual syndrome and not premenopausal syndrome, otherwise I'd have Mark in the car on his way to find a drum so fast his head would spin.
We have a drumming circle that meets near us, but so far, Mark and the kids aren't interested in going with me. Wonder if tell him about the amazing healing properties of drumming ...
Have so much fun at the conference!!
Linda - The last of my nerves about doing this are GONE. It is going to be So Fun.
Randi - Bring whatever you can find to beat on. We tried some pots yesterday, but those seemed too tinny. A cardboard box has potential.
Schuyler - For us, it's just "Shoes." That seems to say it all. :-)
Kelli - You would, my twin, you would.
Deanne - I saw a Taiko drumming group in Seattle once - front row. It was an elemental experience. LOVED it. (Steph, what was the name of that group?!)
Laura - It might be a little of both in my case. And you can go to the circle without them. I was surprised at how internal it is, like meditation (which I've far less luck with). Or reading a good book. I go away.
To those of you who can't join us in Vancouver next week, I will miss you SO much!
Post a Comment