Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Passing political comment

Our new building has TVs in every coffee-break area, and ours is usually tuned to CNBC or MSNBC. A coworker and I walked by when an MSNBC talking head was discussing the possibility of having a Democrat in the White House and Democratic control of Congress. My coworker said something about the world going to Hell in a handbasket, and I demurred with a smiling "No, it's already there." He disagreed and said, "If we start taking money from productive members of society and give it to non-productive members, we're in trouble."

I avoid political discussions at work, so I let it go. But it's Really Bugging Me.

Obama's tax plan offers a tax credit to individuals making less than $200,000 and couples making less than $250,000 per year. This might come as a shock to a few Microsoft millionaires, but that's a lot of people. The independent Tax Policy Center says the plan will cut taxes for 81.3 percent of all households in 2009.

Only in some Republican fantasy world are people who make less than $200,000 per year non-productive members of society. We're talking about teachers, police officers, sales clerks, gas jockeys, small business owners, tech writers, and even many lawyers, doctors, politicians, and plumbers.

Sheesh.