Thursday, October 9, 2008
LnL reports
I've finally had a moment to cruise blogs and read people's posts about Live and Learn. Wow. I'm right back in the conference groove now. Too cool. We didn't have our usual post-conference period of euphoria since we jumped right into jetlag and headcolds. Nice to enjoy it now.
I have "Bohemian Rhapsody" playing to help with that. What a fun 5 minutes that was! Anne has some photos here.
Ren (who is even more beautiful in person) has her writeup, photos, and links to a bunch of other conference posts here.
So, all this reminiscing has led me into thinking about—no, anticipating—LIFE is Good 2009. Mary has honored me with an invitation to speak there. I'm pondering what to talk about. My "Unschooling the Wrong Way" talk was so fun to do, I'm tempted to reprise that. But I think the teen one challenges me more (and perhaps my audience). But doing something all new might be fun, too.
You can help! If you heard my talks, drop me a line at hmsdragonfly at hotmail dot com and tell me what you liked, what you didn't like, what you wish I'd said, what you thought about afterward, etc.
If you didn't hear my talks, drop me a line anyway. I am craving feedback.
:-)
I have "Bohemian Rhapsody" playing to help with that. What a fun 5 minutes that was! Anne has some photos here.
Ren (who is even more beautiful in person) has her writeup, photos, and links to a bunch of other conference posts here.
So, all this reminiscing has led me into thinking about—no, anticipating—LIFE is Good 2009. Mary has honored me with an invitation to speak there. I'm pondering what to talk about. My "Unschooling the Wrong Way" talk was so fun to do, I'm tempted to reprise that. But I think the teen one challenges me more (and perhaps my audience). But doing something all new might be fun, too.
You can help! If you heard my talks, drop me a line at hmsdragonfly at hotmail dot com and tell me what you liked, what you didn't like, what you wish I'd said, what you thought about afterward, etc.
If you didn't hear my talks, drop me a line anyway. I am craving feedback.
:-)
Labels:
liveandlearn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











2 comments:
Hi Ronnie -- I've been thinking about this. Actually, I was raking up some of the bazillions of acorns that have fallen around here, and thinking about your writings on unschooling. I was thinking about how I r-e-a-l-l-y wanted to coerce my younger son into getting off his computer and coming to help the rest of us rake. I thought about the different coercive techniques I could subject him to: guilt, anger door-slamming, raking outside his window, denying him lunch because I was too busy raking. Showing him my blisters. Thank goodness I kept raking and thinking and left him alone. I spent time thinking about your perspective on unschooling, and how you write about where you've been in regards to unschooling and parenting, and where you are now. I really wish that we had been able to go to the LnL, but it was not meant to be.
Anyway. I was thinking about how valuable you are as a speaker/write for someone like myself, because you are a bridge to unschooling. We've been unschoolers for years now, but I still relate to your words, more than of some of the speakers and writers who write from the other side of the bridge, but never about the journey. I love reading the writings of unschoolers, but some of the perspectives show me lots about where they ARE, but nothing about how they GOT there. That's why your writings are so real for me. I bet your talks are wonderful.
Owen came out to help shovel piles of acorns into the wheelbarrow. I went inside to fix sandwiches while he and Jesse and Mark finished up. Everything was fine, happy. I could have made everyone miserable by employing the coercive stuff I was considering, but thank gawd I just kept raking and thinking.
Sorry so long. Just wanted you to know that I was thinking about unschooling and parenting from the perspective of unschoolers who have turned their boats around and started paddling in a different direction. Or, maybe, quit paddling upstream and started going with the current? :)
Thanks, Laura! I will treasure this: "you are a bridge to unschooling." What a lovely thing to be!
Yes, both of my talks had a lot about our journey to unschooling, perhaps because I feel like I'm still journeying. Do you think I'll feel like I'm "there" after MJ and Chloe move out? ;-)
Post a Comment