Saturday, September 26, 2009
Ruled by joy
Scene: It is 10:30 p.m. We are flies on the wall of the third-floor corridor of the hotel at an unschooling conference. A wild-eyed boy who bears a charming resemblance to young Harry Potter streaks by, gabbling something about girls. He dances frantically in place as he waits for the elevator to arrive, then dives through the doors as if his very life depends on it. A few minutes later, his pursuers appear. Judging by the noise level, we assume there must be twelve of them, but no, it is only three. "Shh, it's quiet time," warns a mom who is not their mom. The volume comes down for a moment, but we hear it increasing again as the elevator carries them down to the lobby. ("Harry" went up, in case you were wondering.)
Over the last several weeks—perhaps because four unschooling or unschooling-related conferences have taken place in that time—I've been privy to a number of discussions about where one should draw the line between respect for kids and respect for other people's rights and property. I gather (but have no firsthand knowledge) that there was some minor kid-inflicted property damage at the Rethinking Education Conference down in Texas. Some people are outraged by this and blaming unschooling for it.
Even disregarding the fact that RE is not strictly an unschooling conference, I must question their logic. Do they think that 300 schooled kids or, heaven help us, 300 Shriners would have been better behaved at an event like that? *snort*
That said, I don't think it's a bad idea to ponder this issue.
"Unschooling is not unparenting."
This is something that is often said in the unschooling community. "Unschooling parents," the argument continues, "are present with their kids, and involved, and ready to step in."
Uh huh. It's not that I disagree with the people making this argument. I don't. I've seen a lot of unschooling kids and parents in action, and the level of involvement we're talking about is unparalleled.
But.
The whole truth of the matter is that most people walking into an unschooling conference would describe it with words like "chaos" and "running wild" and "irresponsible." At the talks and chats, people are "terribly disrespectful." They bring their kids, they come and go, their cellphones ring and their walkie-talkies beep. In fact, when my grandma expressed interest in coming to LIFE is Good last spring, I felt obliged to warn her off. To someone with her traditional mindset, the conference would probably be terribly unpleasant, and she would probably find a lot of evidence of unparenting.
"You have to see with better eyes than that."
That quote is one of my favorites from The Abyss. Our heroine, Lindsey, is pleading with her husband, Bud, to step away from fear and the reality he has known. She wants him to step into wonder.
And wonder is what I find at an unschooling conference. Because the "chaos" is actually a pretty sophisticated system. It's just not the system that people are used to.
All that motion in the lobby? That's 400+ people moving from point A to point B. All that conversation? That's friendship and support in action. Those kids riding the elevators and running the hallways? That's playtime and socialization. (Remember socialization? A few minutes ago, you were really worried about socialization.) Those kids in the talks and chats? They're there by invitation. And the coming and going? That's all part of an underlying acceptance that our kids' needs come first, even if it means leaving during a speech.
And notice what's missing. The kids aren't fighting. In fact, anger is virtually nonexistent. And that typical scene from the real world—the silent elevator where everyone stares at the numbers—that never happens. There are no strangers here.
And notice what's different. Adults smile at the children. Children smile at the adults. People who cry are comforted. There is lots (LOTS) of hugging. The kids strike up conversations with other kids' parents. The kids strike up conversations with the hotel employees. The kids strike up conversations with the couple who came to this hotel to get away from their kids. The kids strike up conversations with you.
And what's that over there? It's a group of teenagers! They came here voluntarily. They make eye contact. They smile. And then, can you believe it, they take turns with a microphone and share all sorts of details about their lives.
"An old man dies. A young woman lives. A fair trade."
Hartigan (Bruce Willis) in Sin City
I'm sure things get damaged at unschooling conferences. (Zombie makeup can't be easy on the towels, for instance.) I'm sure there are people who are bothered by the noise and who feel (and I agree) that the hotel reservations people really should have warned them. But there are solutions to those problems that do not involve limiting the good stuff.
Why is adding rules and punishments to a kid's life the first, and usually only, solution people come up with? How unimaginative! What limited thinking!
Unschooling parents believe resorting to rules is a creative failure.
Here's an example. I've deliberately chosen a hypothetical situation here, not one I've ever heard about.
Problem: The hotel is unhappy because several towels were stained.
Possible solutions:
- Take up a collection.
- Trade ad space in the conference handbook for some new towels.
- Ask everybody to contribute ragged towels for next year.
The solution does not have to be a new rule, "Zombie makeup is hereby prohibited." In fact, most unschoolers would see replacing a few towels as an incredibly low cost for the fun and learning that some zombie-makeup sessions provide. And by making our kids aware of the problems that come up, by involving our kids in finding solutions to those problems, our kids learn a gazillion times more than they would from any rule.
Over the last several weeks—perhaps because four unschooling or unschooling-related conferences have taken place in that time—I've been privy to a number of discussions about where one should draw the line between respect for kids and respect for other people's rights and property. I gather (but have no firsthand knowledge) that there was some minor kid-inflicted property damage at the Rethinking Education Conference down in Texas. Some people are outraged by this and blaming unschooling for it.
Even disregarding the fact that RE is not strictly an unschooling conference, I must question their logic. Do they think that 300 schooled kids or, heaven help us, 300 Shriners would have been better behaved at an event like that? *snort*
That said, I don't think it's a bad idea to ponder this issue.
"Unschooling is not unparenting."
This is something that is often said in the unschooling community. "Unschooling parents," the argument continues, "are present with their kids, and involved, and ready to step in."
Uh huh. It's not that I disagree with the people making this argument. I don't. I've seen a lot of unschooling kids and parents in action, and the level of involvement we're talking about is unparalleled.
But.
The whole truth of the matter is that most people walking into an unschooling conference would describe it with words like "chaos" and "running wild" and "irresponsible." At the talks and chats, people are "terribly disrespectful." They bring their kids, they come and go, their cellphones ring and their walkie-talkies beep. In fact, when my grandma expressed interest in coming to LIFE is Good last spring, I felt obliged to warn her off. To someone with her traditional mindset, the conference would probably be terribly unpleasant, and she would probably find a lot of evidence of unparenting.
"You have to see with better eyes than that."
That quote is one of my favorites from The Abyss. Our heroine, Lindsey, is pleading with her husband, Bud, to step away from fear and the reality he has known. She wants him to step into wonder.
And wonder is what I find at an unschooling conference. Because the "chaos" is actually a pretty sophisticated system. It's just not the system that people are used to.
All that motion in the lobby? That's 400+ people moving from point A to point B. All that conversation? That's friendship and support in action. Those kids riding the elevators and running the hallways? That's playtime and socialization. (Remember socialization? A few minutes ago, you were really worried about socialization.) Those kids in the talks and chats? They're there by invitation. And the coming and going? That's all part of an underlying acceptance that our kids' needs come first, even if it means leaving during a speech.
And notice what's missing. The kids aren't fighting. In fact, anger is virtually nonexistent. And that typical scene from the real world—the silent elevator where everyone stares at the numbers—that never happens. There are no strangers here.
And notice what's different. Adults smile at the children. Children smile at the adults. People who cry are comforted. There is lots (LOTS) of hugging. The kids strike up conversations with other kids' parents. The kids strike up conversations with the hotel employees. The kids strike up conversations with the couple who came to this hotel to get away from their kids. The kids strike up conversations with you.
And what's that over there? It's a group of teenagers! They came here voluntarily. They make eye contact. They smile. And then, can you believe it, they take turns with a microphone and share all sorts of details about their lives.
"An old man dies. A young woman lives. A fair trade."
Hartigan (Bruce Willis) in Sin City
I'm sure things get damaged at unschooling conferences. (Zombie makeup can't be easy on the towels, for instance.) I'm sure there are people who are bothered by the noise and who feel (and I agree) that the hotel reservations people really should have warned them. But there are solutions to those problems that do not involve limiting the good stuff.
Why is adding rules and punishments to a kid's life the first, and usually only, solution people come up with? How unimaginative! What limited thinking!
Unschooling parents believe resorting to rules is a creative failure.
Here's an example. I've deliberately chosen a hypothetical situation here, not one I've ever heard about.
Problem: The hotel is unhappy because several towels were stained.
Possible solutions:
- Take up a collection.
- Trade ad space in the conference handbook for some new towels.
- Ask everybody to contribute ragged towels for next year.
The solution does not have to be a new rule, "Zombie makeup is hereby prohibited." In fact, most unschoolers would see replacing a few towels as an incredibly low cost for the fun and learning that some zombie-makeup sessions provide. And by making our kids aware of the problems that come up, by involving our kids in finding solutions to those problems, our kids learn a gazillion times more than they would from any rule.
Labels:
rules,
socialization,
unschooling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






14 comments:
I love your view and your post. I also see some parents being very disconnected and unaware of their children's needs sometimes and I think that's where the real problems come in. Some stains and such, those are the minor issues. Easily solved.
But when a person is truly destructive and/or disrespecting the hotel property I do think it's not about freedom anymore and it needs to stop. It's about living in the society we choose to be a part of and trying to relate to others that don't agree with our views.
It goes back to "it doesn't belong to us" for me....each hotel/assembly place should be treated the way the owners want it treated. Smaller gatherings are really nice for avoiding some of these issues!
"It doesn't belong to us." Yes. I said that a lot when my kids were younger. I want to be clear that I'm not advocating any sort of disregard for hotel property. But if damages occur, it's not the unschooling.
There might be disconnected parents present at an unschooling conference. There might be destructive kids at an unschooling conference. But to assume a cause-and-effect relationship between unschooling and any damage that occurs is, well, unscientific. Everything that is gray is not an elephant.
When Chamille did zombie make-up at the LIG conference, I did worry about the make-up. But the towels were white and they use bleach, and my own experience says that fake blood comes out under those circumstances.
Next time though, I'm bringing lots of wipes! They work better anyway!
We left our hotel room open at all times at the conference. Kids came and went throughout the day. All went great until the mysterious disappearance of my roomy's Mike's hard lemonade... Which to this day, we still don't know who drank it!
I totally agree with you here... a conference with lots of school kids would probably result in damage too. I'm sure hotels that host anime conventions deal with this issue, and most of those folks are not unschoolers!
Oh, hi, Jenny! I did wonder if you would see this. :-)
I want to be clear that I heard zero complaints about the zombie makeup, and I specifically asked Mary about complaints from the staff. It came to my mind only because we tried to be careful about not leaving Chloe's gore behind.
Thanks to you and Chamille for an awesome addition to LIFE is Good!
I think you bring up a good point, and you articulate it well. Leaping from "a problem occurred" to "unschooling creates naughty kids" is unreasonable. Are there unschooling parents who don't step in when they ought to? Probably. But nothing is ever so black and white. In my mind, when those conclusions are drawn it's because someone was looking for support to make that case anyhow. Someone doubts unschooling, has concerns, doesn't like what they see/hear, and then hears of a problem and wham - there's their opening.
Great points, Ronnie. More to think about, which is always good!
I know this is not the point here... but what is the zombie makeup of which you speak? If you tell me a funshop I will be even more amazed at all the fun stuff going on at the various conferences!
Ruled by joy is a principle that goes elsewhere too. Everywhere we go.
We went to a birthday party at a restaurant. Karl was the only kid there ... well let's say it more precisely that he was the only *6 year old* there. ;) Everyone had fun. Karl played Nintendo and leisurely ate and talked and whatever along with everyone else.
Latecomers arrive to the party, a couple. Karl struck up a conversation and as usual he was asked about school to which he replied that he is homeschooled. He's already becoming more aware that people react a bit strangely to that info. The lady preceded to quiz Karl on how to spell "cat." Well meow... I was less than thrilled. And I know what happened is because most people are NOT ruled by joy *especially* when it comes to kids. Whew. Nuff said.
Jean, it wasn't a formal funshop, just a group activity in Chamille's room. But I think she discovered quickly that it would go over really well as a funshop. :-)
"It goes back to "it doesn't belong to us" for me....each hotel/assembly place should be treated the way the owners want it treated." Ren
I get what you are saying here Ren, except when I want my kids to be able to question authority, I don't mean just at home! Why can't we question arbitrary rules out in the real world too? Like for example, at the hotel, which the hotel owns, they want people NOT to be barefoot in common areas. So I am willing to question authority on this one, and be fine with kids going barefoot in the hallways and lobby. Yes, it makes my schooled, obedient self twitch, but I don't make my kids wear shoes....we face the consequence of not wearing them, which is generally just a bunch of dirty looks! lol
Oh, Zombie Chloe can be seen here:
http://zombieprincess.blogspot.com/2009/05/lig-09-photos.html
Chamille was going to "make a monster" for the talent show, but she left all her stuff at home. She was very disappointed about that and still wanted to gore someone out, so she did.
As it happened, someone else saw it and said, "oh do me please too!", and that went on and on till Chamille was very much done. So there were a few gory monsters roaming around the hotel, just in time for the dance party!
It was a wonderful reality to the conference for most everyone, except a few little kids that were scared (so I heard later).
I saw this quote at facebook today and thought you'd all enjoy it in relation to this conversation:
"Rules can't bring freedom - they only have to power to accuse. Rules fix things into place which is DEATH. Life is moving, ever changing, dynamic and unpredictable experiences."
Love it. And yes, baby wipes are great for any kind of intense makeup applications! We love them for body art.:)
I had heard some recent hoopla about conferences that had problems, but I was taking it with a grain of salt--seriously, spilled cocoa on a couch (one of the complaints I read) is such a non-issue in the grand scheme of ANYTHING, and yet was being complained about, that I figure the complaints were blown out of proportion. I have heard complaints recently about a union conference getting kicked out of the hotel they were in --actually being made to leave in the middle of the night because they were to noisy--all adults--so I think a few minor problems with unschooling conventions are mostly lovely and sweet and should just be taken as "this is the kind of thing that happens when large groups get together".
Love your post Ronnie! I definitely think one of the challenges of unschooling is the line of respect, because everyone has different tolerances. That is one of the amazing things about unschooling is we get to learn where it is ok to do one thing, but not another. We get to assess each situation and each rule. For ex. the bare feet in the lobby. My kids love to run around bare foot, it feels great! But they are aware of the rule and they are aware that the hotel can ask them to put something on their feet, because we are staying at the hotel. So we challenge that rule a bit.
Just wanted to chime in on your great post (may be babbling a bit, coffee has not quite kicked in ;)
Post a Comment