MJ lost 8 pounds at Not Back to School Camp. At her height and weight, that is a lot. I noticed it right away and still get a little jolt when I look at her. She says she ate plenty there, but the vegetarian food, lack of fat and sugar, and constant activity took the pounds off.
We had a little conversation about it this morning.
Me: How do you feel about losing the weight?
MJ: It freaks me out a little.
Me: To look in the mirror, you mean?
MJ: Nooo. I don't look any different.
Me: Yeah, you do. [MJ goes off to look in our full-length mirror] Maybe it came off your breasts.
MJ: Well, that's not good!
I love her attitude. It's a marked contrast to my own adolescence, when I went around ashamed, with shoulders hunched as I tried to hide my breasts. It took years to get over that, and I still have my hangups. I am more comfortable all covered up, for instance. But I enjoy my body now, and I have some friends who are encouraging me (leading by uninhibited example mostly - Dana!) to
So, when MJ says she would hate to lose a cup size, I am amused and very happy for her and just a little envious. I know there's a big debate going on about the sexualization of "our" young girls. I'm staying out of the debate. As always, I prefer to respond to the reality of the young women I'm living with rather than some nebulous statistical group. And what I see in my kids is a healthy enjoyment of their own bodies. I see them embracing sexuality as part of their identity.
That's exactly as it should be.






5 comments:
That's an awesome post, Ronnie! I am glad to help you any day of the week (and twice on Sunday!) appreciate your beautiful body, and I am so happy that you are encouraging healthy sexuality and body image in your girls :) I love you!!
Embracing sexuality as a part of their identity -- I like that. Thanks for the grin.
I'd like to lose a cup size...
What freaks me out is when people are sexualized (passive form) and come to embrace that, yet remain out of touch with their actual sexuality.
I grew up in a repressive household in a repressive area and era (West Hills Portland, preppy '80s) and the only sexual messages I got were from magazines and TV (i.e. "sexualization".) I couldn't relate to that at all but no one else was modeling anything else, so I really didn't know what to do with my breasts. They were unwelcome, foreign objects. I never realized it until thinking about it just now, but I think what must have changed it for me was hippie culture. It finally felt normal to be *female*.
Oh my! Well, Chamille would love to reduce her breast size as she really likes to mosh at concerts without those things getting in the way!
I recently read a book called "the Purity Myth". Interesting book, very much about sexuality of girls and women. Quite enjoyable read, very much a feminist book! I read a bit aloud for Chamille and she rather enjoyed it too!
Post a Comment