Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Easy unschooling

In response to my Hidden rules post, Arun (writer and dad of two seriously cute smaller unschoolers) asked:

are you saying it doesn't get any easier???
please say it aint true!

It ain't true! But then again, it is true.

The longer we unschool, the more confident I am of our path. That makes everything easier, and the days are long gone when I had to (literally) stop to ponder my every response to MJ and Chloe in light of our new unschooling attitudes. I usually know without having to think about it much what the unschooling response to any given situation is.

But being confident of our path doesn't mean I can close my eyes and walk it. Knowing the response I want to give doesn't squash every lesser impulse. I am anal exquisitely synchronized, somewhat self-absorbed, a latent control freak, and rather mouthy. Unschooling might have given me some insight into those traits and the harm they can do to my kids, but it hasn't changed those traits. I'm still me. And every so often, especially during stressful times, I need to give my unschooling a tuneup so I can get back to a more respectful place.

But beyond that, I think one of the Best Things about unschooling is that it continually challenges us to see how much better life can be. By shedding the superficial requirements of traditional parenting—the schooling, and the rules, and the nos, and the shoulds—we discovered so much more was possible than we'd thought, in terms of relationships and family happiness and discovery and accomplishment.

And then came the time when we strove to improve our social life. We discovered a whole new world of friends and fun.

It makes me wonder about the next level. Is there more? There just might be more! Maybe I can boost us up into that next level by making a lot of small gestures (not yelling about the cap of my face cleanser) or large ones (arranging yet another unschooler roadtrip, even though Frank and I are tired and money is tight).

Bottom line: I believe in being attentive to my parenting, in continuing to assess and improve. And as life unfolds, I continue to get lots of opportunities to do that.

5 comments:

Behan said...

uh oh. it doesn't get easier? aaiiieee!!

well, so far so good. i have massive self doubt, of course. and (frank are you listening?) have issues letting go of math training. i think "monkey math" is kinda useful! but, not dealing with that yet.

meanwhile, i need an alternate for that useful phrase- "pass the bean dip"- to suit our situation. we don't have issues (yet? or ever? dare i hope?) with the grandparents, but from other cruisers... well everyone wants to know what curriculum you're using. it's not necessarily judgemental, but when they're doing calvert- well you it's easy to get their POV! need to get better at answering that confidently.

we are in la paz and i have internet access for a week! woo hoo! i may lose my tan from spending so much time down below on the computer! lol

Beachbum said...

Unschooling isn't for the faint of heart peoples who don't want to look inside themselves to be better and more...this is what I keep in mind. I will never be perfect or 'good enough'.

So in the mean time, I organize all the Legos by size and type as well as count the number of times I twist the hair around in the braid...so it's an evenly distributed number!

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

"I think one of the Best Things about unschooling is that it continually challenges us to see how much better life can be."

Oh! Just what I needed to hear! Again!

I've been apprehensive about our move. Trying to foresee every problem moving to Arkansas (!) might present the boys, and planning how I'm going to make it all okay. Talk about control!

So. If I change my attitude to one of anticipating the next level, seeing opportunities for new experiences and evolving parenting and unschooling, I can be happier. That's got to be better for everyone.

Ronnie said...

Behan - Teenagers are less time consuming than little ones. We have hours/days go by when they are doing their own thing.

How about "we do relaxed homeschooling" or something like that? They can interpret it any way they like.

We have snow in the forecast. Enjoy La Paz!

Ginger - lol. Yeah, gotta have outlets for our exquisite synchronization!

Laura - See here for one of my all0-time favorite quotes:
http://zombieprincess.blogspot.com/2008/01/control.html

Enjoy what comes!

Ronnie said...

Let's try that link again:
here.