Sunday, December 7, 2008
Hidden rules
I was innocently taking a shower the other day when I discovered that my face cleanser had been used by someone else. This is "allowed," but I felt irritated nevertheless. Upon examination, I realized the source of this irritation: there was a minute amount of cleanser on the cap. It bothered me so much that I actually considered summoning the culprit right then and there to demand that more care be taken in future.
(Ahem. Who's anal? Me? Couldn't be me.)
This kind of, um, specificity on my part is something the girls have had to live with their whole lives, and my transition to no-rules unschooling mom doesn't mean that I haven't made a whole slew of expectations mighty clear to everyone in the house. They are our hidden rules, and we've always had them.
Back in the dim time, when the girls were very small, I was feeling self-righteous about how easy the girls had it, how few rules they were expected to follow, and "we certainly ask little enough of them." To prove my point, I proceeded to write down every rule I could think of, expecting to wind up with about a dozen.
Well, folks, the list was loooooong. I probably had 50 rules that I expected these two tiny little girls to not only know but live by each and every minute of their lives. It was an eye opener: a little exercise that helped me see better.
These days, we have no rules. In theory, all of our rules were easily tossed out in favor of the application of common sense in individual situations. But those expectations of mine... Those are still around and probably not hidden well enough. And why should they be? you might ask. After all, individually they seem so harmless—things like "I expect the scissors to be returned to the drawer after use" and "I expect dishes to be carried to the sink and preferably put into the dishwasher" and "I expect the lid of my face cleanser to be left as nice as it was when I used it."
Well, there is harm. We end up with Ronnie cast as Demanding Arbiter of What Is Good Enough, and MJ, Chloe, and Frank cast as They Who Never Quite Measure Up. In other words, there's a dictator and the dictated-to. That's not what respect and acceptance look like.
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to exterminate my internal Demanding Arbiter. That happens one incident at a time, with a deep breath or a bitten tongue or an "erase, erase, erase" (our longtime Get Out of Jerkiness Free card). And for every time I squelch the impulse to complain/nudge/remind/demand/scream, there are probably a dozen times (or more) when I give into it and don't even notice.
Fortunately for me, my family knows I'm always trying.
(Ahem. Who's anal? Me? Couldn't be me.)
This kind of, um, specificity on my part is something the girls have had to live with their whole lives, and my transition to no-rules unschooling mom doesn't mean that I haven't made a whole slew of expectations mighty clear to everyone in the house. They are our hidden rules, and we've always had them.
Back in the dim time, when the girls were very small, I was feeling self-righteous about how easy the girls had it, how few rules they were expected to follow, and "we certainly ask little enough of them." To prove my point, I proceeded to write down every rule I could think of, expecting to wind up with about a dozen.
Well, folks, the list was loooooong. I probably had 50 rules that I expected these two tiny little girls to not only know but live by each and every minute of their lives. It was an eye opener: a little exercise that helped me see better.
These days, we have no rules. In theory, all of our rules were easily tossed out in favor of the application of common sense in individual situations. But those expectations of mine... Those are still around and probably not hidden well enough. And why should they be? you might ask. After all, individually they seem so harmless—things like "I expect the scissors to be returned to the drawer after use" and "I expect dishes to be carried to the sink and preferably put into the dishwasher" and "I expect the lid of my face cleanser to be left as nice as it was when I used it."
Well, there is harm. We end up with Ronnie cast as Demanding Arbiter of What Is Good Enough, and MJ, Chloe, and Frank cast as They Who Never Quite Measure Up. In other words, there's a dictator and the dictated-to. That's not what respect and acceptance look like.
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to exterminate my internal Demanding Arbiter. That happens one incident at a time, with a deep breath or a bitten tongue or an "erase, erase, erase" (our longtime Get Out of Jerkiness Free card). And for every time I squelch the impulse to complain/nudge/remind/demand/scream, there are probably a dozen times (or more) when I give into it and don't even notice.
Fortunately for me, my family knows I'm always trying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











12 comments:
And your family will forgive the minor trangressions because of all of the good things you do for and with them and because they love you.
This very thing has been on my mind lately.
I'm not not very organized or tidy, so when I perceive the other family members making it even tougher for me -- by leaving caps off, leaving things on the counter instead of putting back in cabinet, not putting scissors back in the drawer -- I get thoroughly worked up and agitated and accusatory.
Thing is ... more often than not, it's ME who left the stuff on the counter, cap off the tube, scissors not in the drawer. And even if it isn't me that time, it probably will be the next time.
Humor helps, huh? I was leaving Owen's room with an armful of trash the other day, and said, "Would it be easier if we got a big garbage can for your room?" He looked up from his computer and said, "It would be easier for you, but I'd have a garbage can in my room."
I just burst out laughing. "It would be easier for you", indeed! Rascal!
To be honest, if I ask him to bring trash or plates into the kitchen the next time he emerges from his room, he is helpful. His attitude is really wanting to help, to be kind, it's just that the things that are important (sort of) to me, are not important to him.
Well put!
I just want to say that I really enjoyed your last few posts. A lot I relate to here!
Scott - For sure. But I'd like them to have less to forgive.
Laura - I inadvertently made it sound like I'm a neatnik. Nope. I'm just an anal slob. :-)
Loved Owen's response to the garbage-can idea.
"it's just that the things that are important (sort of) to me, are not important to him"
Exactly.
Deanne and Linda - Thanks!
are you saying it doesn't get any easier???
please say it aint true!
HA! I love it. In the library world (to which I may return someday!) we thought that anal sounded too...crude...so we said we weren't anal, we were exquisitely synchronized. I find myself having to re-learn now to NOT be that at home. Thanks for the reminders.
Arun - I'm going to answer your question in a post.
Carolyn - ES for short, right? That's me!
Have you ever noticed when leaving a comment that the Word Verification "picture" is often applicable to the post? (how googlish) Anyhow, this time it's
chille ;-)
After a week of skiing in Whistler (another benefit of unschooling....taking advantage of cheap(er) travel opportunities) I have had a lot to catch up on on your blog, Ronnie! What a wonderful week of posts you have made, most of which echo my own sentiments. I'm with you on wishing there was less to forgive :)
And if you do get an unschooler road trip happening...you are welcome this way, as always :) New years even without the concert could be fun!
Shonna
Steph - I have noticed, only they are always spelled wrong. :-)
Shonna - Sorry, this trip is going south to California instead of north to BC. Hope Whistler was wonderful!
Oh, how I relate to this post. I try to be all, "yeah, I'm so mellow, everything's so cool", then I kind of loose it - not totally over the top loose it, no that would be too easy, I get all weird about little things. Like the other night, Bekka and our visiting nephews were in the kitchen and I hear a strange noise. I go in and find that one of my nephews is sharpening my knives with the knife sharpener that came with them - and I get all weird because I've always used a special sharpener and what he's doing will require (in my mind) me to completely rehone the knives. Now, they probably need it anyway, and it's been a long time since I've sharpened them, but I was kind of a jerk about it.
It was one of those bad moments where my strange perfectionism and my need to be "right" got in the way of my being kind. It didn't help that I just started my period and the nephews have been here since Thanksgiving, but still - uck! Who wants to be around somebody like that - ungrateful, picky, rude? Not me!
It's happening less than it used to, but it still bugs me that it still happens. When do we finish learning these lessons???
Thanks for the thoughts, Ronnie. It was what I was trying to come up with on my blog the other day, but couldn't quite put into words.
Joni
Post a Comment