Wednesday, November 24, 2010

TSAre you kidding me?! and DHScuse me?!

I am disturbed by the new backscatter devices and even more disturbed by the grope frisking that is your only alternative. I think both "options" are un-Constitutional and a highly suspect addition to our airport "security" processes.

But I wasn't moved to blog about it until I read this deeply disturbing rumor. It seems the Department of Homeland Security has a new policy of not only seeking out people who object to the new security measures but having them investigated.

The terminology contained within the reported memo is indeed troubling. It labels any person who “interferes” with TSA airport security screening procedure protocol and operations by actively objecting to the established screening process, “including but not limited to the anticipated national opt-out day” as a “domestic extremist.” ... For individuals who engaged in such activity at screening points, it instructs TSA operations to obtain the identities of those individuals and other applicable information and submit the same electronically to the Homeland Environment Threat Analysis Division, the Extremism and Radicalization branch of the Office of Intelligence & Analysis (IA) division of the Department of Homeland Security.

You don't have to object to the new security measures to object to this labeling as extremists peaceful American citizens who are exercising their Constitutional rights. As citizens of this country, we have the right to object to unreasonable searches. And we have the right not only to disagree with but to peacefully protest the actions of our government.

I hope you will join me in objecting to this. Be loud, be proud, and stand up to the kind of Fascism that I had hoped we were done with when Bush left office.

3 comments:

Penta Mom said...

I don't know, Ronnie, perhaps you are already on the list to Homeland security for even having written about this! And me too, because I read it! Hmm....but I'll be an International terrorist, not domestic :)

Sandra Dodd said...

The whole TSA thing had gone too far when they started taking away people's dad's zippo lighters and their nail clippers. But to balance the craziness of the week, Americans don't have a god- or constitution-given right to board airplanes or to leave the country. So having just been in and out of four foreign airports (Paris, Mumbai, Bangalore and Amsterdam) I can say for sure that the screening processes are all different, and I was patted down a few times, and even in Minnesota, because I was wearing a big skirt over a pair of pants, so a female agent touched my legs.

It's like freedom of the press. You need to own the press, first. Those who own their own planes don't get frisked, I guess. Those who ride in other people's planes might.

sgaissert said...

Hooray, Ronnie! Thanks for this.