Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Not enough words... or too many?
In science class today, Chloe's teacher described some rocks as "non-native" and asked if anyone knew what that word meant. Trying to give someone else a chance to answer, Chloe at first didn't put up her hand. No one else volunteered, so the teacher turned it around: "Okay, how about 'native'?" Still no response. Chloe finally raised her hand, and the teacher called on her.
"Indigenous," said Chloe.
"Yeees," replied the teacher. "But I was looking for something simpler."
"Indigenous," said Chloe.
"Yeees," replied the teacher. "But I was looking for something simpler."
Labels:
chloeinschool,
school
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











6 comments:
If Chloe had been attending public school all along she would know that four-syllable words are not permitted until after high school graduation. Everyone knows that. hahahahahahahaha
Okay. I gotta know. What word was her teacher looking for??
OMG my sides ache from laughing. I do love that girl. Too cool for school I say.
Her teacher was looking for a string of one-syllable words. Ya know: It means, like, stuff that's, like, always been there. Ya know. And stuff. It like lives there, right? And that's, like, its home. And stuff.
This was priceless! Just love it.
I wouldn't have answered this question because I would have been thinking to myself, 1) that's so obvious it must be a trick question, or I must have misunderstood the question, or maybe it means something else in context of what the teacher was just talking about which I don't know because it was so boring I was not paying attention, or maybe the teacher doesn't know what s/he's talking about and my correct answer will be deemed wrong and 2) if any of the above is true, the teacher will be disdainful of my mental inferiority and I will look foolish.
It of course didn't always play out that way, and certainly not all teachers are nuts/mean, but I'd been embarrassed enough times by arrogant asshole teachers that I'd become suspicious and fearful in general about answering questions in class. I wonder how many kids in Chloe's class that's true for. It couldn't really be possible that *none* of them knew what "native" means?
I agree completely, Linda. They could answer but choose not to. Most of them probably know "indigenous," too. At the very least, it gets used in a lot of popular films.
Post a Comment