Monday, February 2, 2009

The Doings Report

We're all tucked into what Frank calls Maier Hibernation Month. He and I have actually been mostly hibernating since we got back from New Orleans (with some notable and very fun exceptions), as evidenced by my quiet blog. We're doing lots of internal processing right now, I think, and just being together.

The notable and very fun exceptions were a couple of impromptu gatherings and one...um...promptu one...? It started with STUN Friday, a Ninja and Samurai bowling event. We had thought it would be only a small group, but then Shonna, Matteo, Gemma, Gioia, Ali, and Viola flew (almost literally) down from BC in time for a game. Later, we met them (except Matteo who went home with the Boswells for some guy time) for pizza at a surprisingly crowded, don't-these-people-know-there's-a-recession? Alfy's. Service was slow, but the food was greeted by cheers and pretty good.

The next day, Shonna and company went to Margaret's unschooler gathering on the Eastside, which we decided to forego in favor of a quiet day. In the evening, everybody met up back at our place--Boswells, Bentleys, Morgans, and Maiers--the BM crew--oh, wait, reverse that!--until the older teens and Jordan headed off to see "Rise of the Lycans" and the Bentleys had to leave. The rest of us hung out while the twins played with toys (see, Frank, I save all that stuff for a reason!). Chloe did her best not to give anybody her four-days-in-school-and-she-already-has-a-cold germs. I hope she succeeded! And Frank worked a minor miracle and put together yummy and kid-friendly dinner for 8 with very little notice.

Yesterday, we had a Super day out at Mom's, eating WAY too much, watching the commercials, and half-heartedly rooting for the Cardinals, except for the last four minutes when they provided some damned exciting football. They have our sympathy on their loss, but that Steeler touchdown pass was a thing of beauty!

Backing up a bit, Chloe's school adventure is off to a reasonably good start. She's making friends, having no trouble with her schoolwork so far, and has come home with very little homework. Drama and guitar are by far the classes she's most excited about: she's doing improv and learning Malagueña. In Algebra, they're learning about linear equations and solving for x (which leaves me puzzled about what they studied in first semester). And in science, they're learning about climate. Hmm, I wonder if they'll ask Chloe to share primary-source stories about hurricanes.

Meanwhile, MJ has been immersed in the Complete Poems of E. E. Cummings, copying out the ones she likes and leaving one at the front door for Chloe every morning. Yeats is getting some attention, too, but she says she doesn't like him as much as Cummings. She's also composing a rather lengthy letter to Harper, who is at Camp Lejeune but doesn't yet have an assigned address and is not yet permitted access to his cellphone (?!). She has very much been enjoying the Xbox 360 and peripherals he handed down to her, especially Rock Band and Left 4 Dead.

Frank is playing and practicing music a lot, especially their LIFE is Good talent show selection, which I'm not sure I'm supposed to reveal.

And I'm working on a second talk for LIFE is Good but finding myself (relatively) wordless. I might do better after some more quiet time.

6 comments:

CiaoBella! said...

You can come to AZ and live with us for a few days, like on spring break!! And we could also attempt to be Cardinals fans. We had fun yesterday and Tom just finished off the shrimp and cream cheese for lunch! Thanks for partying with us!!

Cap'n Franko said...

Shouldn't that be "e. e. cummings"?

(grin)

Ronnie said...

Mom- We've been munching on leftover sandwiches. :-)

Frank - I thought so, too, but Wikipedia says probably not.

CiaoBella! said...

One of those "techy" editors got hold of Wikipedia!

kelli said...

Oo, I'll have to tell Alec and Abbi that she has the x-box. They've been having fun with left4dead also with their cousin and Nic. If she wants she can e-mail me her ID and they can all look for each other.

Scott said...

Life goes on doesn't it? Glad you are taking time for yourselves in there somewhere.