Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thursday 13

Thirteen of My Favorite Romance Novels

Whether or not these are the top 13 depends on my mood, but they are definitely among those that I like to read again and again.

1. Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas. Villain as hero, beautifully and believably transformed by the disdain—or is it love?—of a good woman. Third book in a consistently good 4-book series. Historical.

2. Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas, also of the above series. This one scores big for melodrama done just right. Historical.

3. It's in His Kiss by Julia Quinn. The brightest, funniest installment in her very fun Bridgerton series. Meet poor Mr. Mozart... Historical.

4. Born in Fire, Born in Ice, and Born in Shame by Nora Roberts. Three books that together tell one wonderful family story. Set in the Ireland I'm hoping to visit. Contemporary.

5. The MacKade Brothers, a four-book series by Nora Roberts. Sexiest heroes ever. Contemporary.

6. Finding the Dream by Nora Roberts. I always start with the first two books in this 3-book series, but it's really all about getting to this one. Michael Fury is a great hero. Contemporary.

7. The Bride by Julie Garwood. Plucky, displaced heroine keeps her new clan on their toes, starts a few wars, and then, of course, saves the day. Historical.

8. The Secret by Julie Garwood. Reluctant midwife finds her place with her best friend's new clan—and its laird. Historical.

9. Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. Sharp, funny writing highlights a quirky romance where our protagonists really are each other's heroes. Contemporary.

10. Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie. Engaging cast of characters in a sexy whodunit. No, really, whodunit? Contemporary.

11. A Prince of a Guy and The Princess and the Pea by Kathleen Korbel. Really fun fairy tales. Contemporary.

12. Accompanying Alice by Terese Ramin. Alice is already facing middle age, an empty nest, and a family wedding (the horror) when she finds herself first the hostage and then the not-terribly-reluctant hostess of a desperate special agent. Contemporary.

13. Nobody's Darling by Teresa Medeiros. I'm not usually crazy about Westerns, but this one stole my heart. Billy Darling—the honorable black sheep of his outlaw family—is a hero I can root for. Historical.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

8 comments:

Pretty Life Online said...

Great listing! Happy TT, mine's up too hope you can drop by!

Irishcoda said...

I'm not too much into the romance genre but I so love to read! Have to check out that NaBloPoMo (I can never get the initials right, lol)

Terese Ramin said...

Ronnie, thanks so much for the mention of Accompanying Alice! I had the best time writing that book. There's so much of my own family in it. And now that I've found you, I'll definitely be back to read more!

Terese Ramin
blogging today over at http://witchychicks.blogspot.com

Ronnie said...

Terese - Great to see you here! I've never had a celebrity comment before! :-)

irishcoda - Next week, I'm thinking of doing my non-romance faves.

plo - Thanks for the visit!

Ronnie said...

For my readers who are interested in seeing Terese's blog entries, try this link:

Terey

Anonymous said...

I love Bet Me too. Accompanying Alice sounds interesting - just my kind of thing. I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid i don't know any of them.

CiaoBella! said...

Ronnie, Your daughter and I are duly impressed! Thanks for dropping in, Terese!