Thursday, September 30, 2010
Green smoothie heaven
I have discovered a few more tips for making green smoothie fixing fun and efficient and delicious.
1. Buy bags of organic greens at Trader Joe's. Currently, I have a bag each of their Southern Blend "greens for cooking" (mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, spinach), baby lettuces, and arugula. It makes getting a variety of greens SO easy, no washing is required, and they keep well.
2. Unless you like spicy smoothies, go easy on the mustard greens.
3. Add cilantro (if you like cilantro). I put in three or four stems, chopped, and it's perfect: just a hint of flavor.
4. You know those non-green vegetables that you know you should be getting but don't especially want to eat? Put them in your smoothie. I don't feel like eating whole reds and oranges right now - not even on salads - but dropping some chopped orange bell pepper in my smoothie is painless.
1. Buy bags of organic greens at Trader Joe's. Currently, I have a bag each of their Southern Blend "greens for cooking" (mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, spinach), baby lettuces, and arugula. It makes getting a variety of greens SO easy, no washing is required, and they keep well.
2. Unless you like spicy smoothies, go easy on the mustard greens.
3. Add cilantro (if you like cilantro). I put in three or four stems, chopped, and it's perfect: just a hint of flavor.
4. You know those non-green vegetables that you know you should be getting but don't especially want to eat? Put them in your smoothie. I don't feel like eating whole reds and oranges right now - not even on salads - but dropping some chopped orange bell pepper in my smoothie is painless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
My life coach makes mostly veggie smoothies - mine are still mostly fruit, with a lot of greens thrown in. Here's her recipe (I think the page is public, let me know if it isn't):
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/note.php?note_id=262435190242
It is VERY refreshing. I feel so virtuous when I make one of these!
Hey Ronnie,
Just a tip...
If you get too "green" of a flavor and don't want to add anymore sweet fruits, just shake some cinnamon in and it perfects it every time!
You're rockin!
Shan
Virtuous - That's interesting, Caren. I feel self indulgent when I make one - something about the money I've spent on the fruits and vegetables. But I feel virtuous, too, because I know I'm taking such good care of myself!
Thanks, Shan!!
I can't see the page, Caren.
sounds yummy all over!
Have you tried adding freshly grated ginger root? They have that at Trader Joe's, too. :)
Post a Comment