Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Conditional vs. unconditional friends

"In the long run, I find that the closest friends in my social network become more unconditional over time. My path of personal growth and exploration naturally weeds out the conditional connections, i.e. the people who are only willing to have me in their reality if I align with their particular prejudices." — Steve Pavlina

From his recent post about social networking

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, for me at least, unconditional friendship is the only kind I feel able to entertain in my life at this point. Having Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue really helped me to see the beauty in a life more simply lived that only includes people who love me no matter what and whom I will love no matter what - those are the only kind of people worth using up my limited energy on/with/for!

Anonymous said...

I notice also that the unconditionality of my friendships has become more precious to me as I have grown and developed my attitudes and opinions about life.

I need to know that my friend will love me no matter what my politics, religious views, parenting attitudes, etc.. Otherwise, I will not be able to be my real self with that person. And, at age 51, I'm not playing at being somebody else anymore for anybody!

Thanks for the post.