Wednesday, October 27, 2010
NaBloPoHalfMo: This vehicle does not come equipped with seatbelts
Today, I want to talk about keeping our kids safe.
It's probably what parents want most in all the world, right? For our kids to be safe. Every parental concern, from academics to hygiene to video games, boils down to this.
We had a stark reminder recently that unschooling alone is no guarantee of safety: a teen member of the unschooling community committed suicide. The news has left his friends reeling (What could they have done differently? Why didn't he know he could talk to them?) and us parents taking a hard look at how we support our kids.
I don't have any answers. Over the years, in spite of the accepting environment that is unschooling, my kids have wrestled with shame and fear and feelings of inadequacy. They've had their dark moments. I can only speculate about what has gotten them through those moments and what was missing in this boy's life or psyche that he couldn't do the same.
But his death has been an important reminder to me to Pay Attention. To connect with Frank and my kids Now. If things aren't working, I need to fix them. If they need additional or different support, I need to provide it. And above all, I need to make sure they know that I am a safe space for them. No matter what.
Frank and MJ and Chloe, how can I love you better?
Labels:
acceptance,
NaBloPoMo,
play
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
Oh wow! That is just awful, I had no idea. So sad :(
Post a Comment